Philip Newton (pne) wrote,
Philip Newton

Help with vocabulary

Ever since Amy outgrew her pram, she's been sitting in something we call Buggy in German.

I wasn't sure what to call it at first, so I went with stroller.

However, it seems that this is a predominantly US word, and I'd like to use a British word instead. I'm not sure what word is used for those things, though -- I got the vague impression that they used to be called pushchairs but that buggy is becoming common as well.

Can you (UK English speakers) help? Is there, perhaps, a difference between the two (e.g. a pushchair is simpler than a buggy); is the difference regional; are both words synonyms and in common use; is pushchair old-fashioned; etc.?

Here's a poll with a couple of images:

Poll #990858 Rubber baby pushchair bumpers

I speak...

UK English (please skip the next question)
some other variety of English (please answer only this and the next question)

(Non-UK English speakers) I'd call the items below:

This is a ...

This is a ...

This is a ...

Thank you!

Tags: polls
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded